Can a magazine suscription go to collection ifI was never giving the contract in writing?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a magazine suscription go to collection ifI was never giving the contract in writing?

I got an subscription over the phone and wasn’t given the detailn. When I questioned why I was still being charged they said it was for 5 years. Now it’s in collection. I think the company is a scam.

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that if you received a subscription over the telephone phone but did not sign an application, received the magazine, and did not pay the subscription fee, your account can always be sent into collection.

The key question is whether or not you have received the magazine or not. If you have not received the magazine, I would contact the magazine company as to when you can expect receiving it. Rather than paying for the full five years, I would send a check first for a two month subscription to see if you actually get the magazine.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption