What to do if I recently filed bankruptcy leaving my dad responsible for a old car loan and now he has a lien against his house?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently filed bankruptcy leaving my dad responsible for a old car loan and now he has a lien against his house?

He is on a fixed income.

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From my read of your question, I presume that your father co-signed on a car loan where you were the primary person obligated on the loan? If you have filed for bankruptcy protection and received a discharge, then the lender on the car has no recourse against you.

However, if there is a judgment against your father concerning this loan where an abstract of judgment has been recorded against his property, the sole recourse that you have is to assist your father in getting the abstract paid off. After all, it seems that the judgment against your father results from an obligation that you incurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption