Can a corporation legally hire people part-time without green cards or Social Security cards?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a corporation legally hire people part-time without green cards or Social Security cards?

I know of a place where illegal immigrants are being offered jobs part-time and possibly under the table money. Is this legal? What would be my next step in stopping this?

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There are several different types of authorization to work in this country legally, but all workers need one or another: if they have none, it is illegal to employ them. It is also illegal to pay employees "under the table" without withholding for social security, Medicare, etc. You can report this employee to any or all of the state attorney general's office, Immigration and Naturalization, or the IRS for their tax and right to work violations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption