Can I enroll in a master’s program while my marriage-based I-485 is pending?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I enroll in a master’s program while my marriage-based I-485 is pending?

I sent my I-485 and I-765 with an approved I-130 in April, 2016. My status on
USCIS website has been the same since my case was received on the 25 of April,
2016. I’m just admitted to a graduate school. Should I wait for my I-765 to be
approved before enrolling in the program?

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can enroll in the program before the I-765 is approved since that is an employment authorization document and you are not seeking employent but seeking to study.  It should suffice to show the admissions office the receipt notice for the I-130/I-485.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption