What can I do if my employer has lost important documents that contained my social security?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my employer has lost important documents that contained my social security?

I filled out paperwork needed that included my social security. Unfortunately when I receive my paycheck, I did not see the changes made accordingly. When I asked about the change, they unfortunately had lost the paperwork. Important information such as my social security is a large concern for me because of the possibility of identify theft.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

IF you suffer some loss (such as through identify theft) because of your employer's negligence, or unreasonable careless, you may be able to sue the employer for compensation. But if you do not suffer some injury or loss, there is nothing to do--the legal system provides compensation for actual losses, not merely for  the risk or possibility of loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption