What to do about a breach of an employment contract regarding payment?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a breach of an employment contract regarding payment?

I am an independent consultant and the consulting firm for which I have been working for the last 6 months, has been having trouble paying me all along. Now, after I left, they claim the client says I was becoming difficult to work with and that I quit the project. I have an excellent relationship with the client but not getting paid by the consulting firm was taking a toll in which my energy was being drowned towards getting paid. Now the consulting firm, owes me about 15K on past due invoices and they say they may have to credit the client for my hours. What can I do?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the consulting firm for breach of contract.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption