Real Estate Contract

UPDATED: May 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Real Estate Contract

Due to a company job transfer, we put our house on the market. 7 days ago, we ratified a contact. Yesterday, we found out that the transfer fell throuogh. Legally, can we get out of the contract?

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No attorney can answer this question without looking at the contract itself, and getting all the facts.  You should see a real estate attorney about this as soon as possible, and one place to find a lawyer in your area is our website,

Please do this, before you say or do anything.  There might be an out, or not, and even if there is an out you can use, it has to be done the right way.  In some situations, you might also have to worry about a suit from the real estate broker for the commission on the broken deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption