Bought items from a business that either took my money and did not send me my items or is out of business and still took my money.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Bought items from a business that either took my money and did not send me my items or is out of business and still took my money.

I bought items from a site. A month and 3 weeks later, I have not received the items. I got an email saying the items were shipped. The shipping company says they never received the items to ship. According to a business review site, it says the site I purchased the items from is out of business. I tried their contact numbers, all disconnected. Either they took my money without giving me my items and ignoring 2 emails I sent asking about the items or they are out of business but kept their site online and are still taking people’s money without delivering items. What should I do?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Business Law, Montana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would contact the consumer protection department in the state that the company was located in.  you can then file a consumer complaint and use the state's resources to do your nvestigation for you or at least get you the information you need to file a lawsuit against the officers/owners of the company for fraud, conversion and breach of contract.  I suggest you also call a lawyer in that state to look into filing a claim and determining if the owners have assets.  You need to act fast and find out what if any likliehood of recovery you can have. Also, call the secretary of state to find out who these owners are and where they live.  the sec of state can give you this info over the phone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption