What to do when a contractor misuse funds and charge card given to him for material for clients repairs?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when a contractor misuse funds and charge card given to him for material for clients repairs?

I hired a contractor to repair a damaged room.I gave him a charge card to purchase the material.I found out he used $1272.00 for his personal use on the card and could not show reciept for 500.00 cash he received from me.I fired him.His cost was 6100.00 for labor.Do I have to pay him for work done?Only the outside work is done.I havent paid him anything at this point.How do i handle this legally?

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Business Law, Louisiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I suggest wirting him a letter and indicating that he has misused funds and has failed to complete the job pursuant to his contract and that you are going to be filing a lawsuit and notifying the police of the conversion of your money and demand that he return to finish the job.  Send the letter certified mail.  If you do not hear a response in 5 days, hire a lawyer to sue the contractor and notify the police of the theft.  I would also hire a replacement contractor to complete the work and keep the invoices so that you can recoup the costs over and  above $6100. Do not sit on your rights.  Take action now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption