What are my rights if both my parents died due to 2 cases of medical malpractice?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if both my parents died due to 2 cases of medical malpractice?

No legal action was ever taken for this. It was happened about 10 years ago. I am now 18 and the parents that I am referring to were not my biological parents; they were my adoptive parents. Can I bring a lawsuit against the doctors/hospital for this?

Asked on December 15, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From  what you write, it appears that you cannot bring the claim.

1) The statute of limitations for medical malpractice is at most 4 years in Florida,  but you say 10 years have gone by.

2) Even though you were not 18 at the time, your parent's estate (e.g. through the administrator or the executor) could have brought the lawsuit; or your legal guardian could have, on your half. The fact that you were less than 18 at the time does not appear to excuse the delay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption