Is a judgment awarded 34 years ago still enforceable?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a judgment awarded 34 years ago still enforceable?

I had a no-fault auto accident in FL. The next year, I left there forever and moved to NY. As I recall there was judgement for$1,000 against me. Now I am thinking of buying a home in FL to spend my retired life. Would that judgement be still pursued or has it expired and is time-barred?

Asked on March 29, 2019 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is a statute of limitations on enforcing judgments, just as there is on bringing a lawsuit in the first place. In the state you list (New York), the maximum time that a judgment can be enforced is twenty years--so at 34 years, it is far too late for the judgment creditor (the one who had the judgment against you) to pursue the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption