My friend wrecked my atv and refuses to cover cost

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My friend wrecked my atv and refuses to cover cost

I, who am 18 decided to take my friend who is
also 18 out to ride my atv. I gave him
premission to ride it, and although he was not
wearing a helmet there were helmets available
for him to wear. He wrecked the atv and totaled
it. Around 4k in damage. And he refuses to pay
for it, is this a case i can sue against? Am I

Asked on November 24, 2018 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue your friend for negligence for the 4K damages to your ATV. You may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. If your friend is employed, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.
You are liable if your friend was injured.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption