As a landlord, how do I notify and treat tenants whose rental property has a burst water pipe.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a landlord, how do I notify and treat tenants whose rental property has a burst water pipe.

Tenants went away for holidays and a pipe burst in the attic flooding the home. It is unlivable and they will need to find alternative arrangements. What is the process I need to go through to inform them? I told them what happened but they reacted as if it was only a small issue. They will not scheduled to return to property until January 15th. We have contacted our insurance company and mitigation is underway.

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Send them written notice, sent some way or ways that you can prove delivery (e.g. fax; email attachment; and/or certified mail or fed ex with tracking) stating that the premises are unlivable due to damage and that no one may reside in them until remediation has been completed. Give them the option of either terminating their lease or continuing the lease but not moving back in until the premises are habitable again, in which case they will not have to pay rent for the time the place is unliveable. (You can't make tenants pay for periods when they can't use or live in the premises.) The notice should let them know in no uncertain terms that they have to make other living arrangements and will not be allowed back in the premises until the work is fundamantally done (i.e. it's ok if some fit and finish is still going on) and the premises is fit for inhabitation; but that you will coordinate with them to let them retrieve their belongings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption