My son and I own a property together but only his name is on it. Can he kick me out?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My son and I own a property together but only his name is on it. Can he kick me out?

Son is on mental disability. I
bought a mobile home for him and
for me as I’m separated from
husband. My son has now kicked me
out by intimidation and telling me
to leave. We’ve split the bills
evenly for 4 years. How can I
protect my financial and physical
interests in the home? Can he
sell it and keep all the money?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If his name alone is on the deed to the mobile home then on it's face it appears that he is the owner and you are just a tenant or border in the home.  So yes, he can "evict" you.  I would seek legal help here.  Mobile homes are not always considere real property and that may be in your favor in this situation.  Any agreements as to real prooerty MUST be in writing (which is not in your favor).   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption