If I was not notified of a change in my financial aid award, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was not notified of a change in my financial aid award, what are my rights?

When I got accepted to a university. They sent me my award letter telling me the estimated amount I was going to receive for financial aid. Since I was a freshmen I didn’t know the procedures but I set up a account online and have been paying every month based on the letter they sent me in June. This month I got a statement that says my balance is $8,000 more than the amount I had thought I was going to pay (based on the letter that was sent to me 9 months ago). I went to the financial aid office and they said that they were supposed to send me a letter 5 months ago that said the adjusted amount but they didn’t. Is there legal problems with what they did? Because if I knew I was supposed to pay that much more I probably wouldn’t have attended the school.  

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you I do not see a legal issue with respect to the question that you are writing about in which the balance owed is $8,000 more than what you anticipated for school. The costs for your education are what they are.

I suggest that if you believe that you have been overcharged for your education that you need to sit down with a person with the financial aid department and go over your obligations versus what you actually spent. Since you are presumably an adult and are in school, you need to take direct responsibility for the costs of your education.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption