If I filed a Chapter 7 and it was discharged last month, what if I receive a life insurance payout?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed a Chapter 7 and it was discharged last month, what if I receive a life insurance payout?

What do I do and how can I keep it?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


Malcolm Ruthven / Malcolm Ruthven, Bankruptcy Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As you probably know, receiving anything due to the death of someone who dies within 180 days after your bankruptcy filing is the exception to the rule that the assets of your bankruptcy estate are determined at the time your file bankruptcy. You're obligated to notify the trustee of those life insurance proceeds if the person died within that 180 period. You get to apply any exemptions remaining to those proceeds so you can keep as much or all of them as possible. Definitely discuss this with your bankruptcy attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption