Am I responsible for another drivers damages if accident occurred on private property and no one was sited?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for another drivers damages if accident occurred on private property and no one was sited?

Insurance co determine both at fault. paid insurers damages and want me to pay back the money.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Accident Law, Georgia


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The fact that it occurred on private property is irrelevant.  I assume you are talking about the other party's insurance company asking for money back.   If they determined that you are both at fault, did they come up with a percentage for each?  50-50?  Is your insurance company involved.  What typically occurs is that the insurance companies duke it out and come up with a percentage of fault for each.  Then they subrogate (make a legal demand for) the percentage back from the opposing insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption