Can my boyfriend kick me out and put my stuff on the street?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boyfriend kick me out and put my stuff on the street?

I have lived with my boyfriend for about 3 months. He has made the comment that if he ever kicked me out I would come home to find the locks changed and my stuff out on the street. Is he able to do that or do I have any legal “residents” rights in IL? The house and all of the bills are in his name. I do get my mail there and contribute money towards the bills and expenses.

Asked on August 3, 2011 Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as this, even though you have no formal lease you will be considered to be a tenant. This is because you paid a form of "rent", namely you contributed to the bills (I assume utility, etc). You are a month-to-month tenant therefore your boyfriend must give you a 30 day notice to vacate. If he does and you still do not leave then he will have to file an unlawful detainer action in court (this is an eviction lawsuit).

Note:  If beforehand he changes the locks or removes your personal belongings you can sue him for unlawful eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption