Am I entitled to any inheritance if my grandparents left no Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to any inheritance if my grandparents left no Will?

I have lived with my grandparent since I was 6 months old. It’s more than 40 years now they are both deceased and left no Will. I still live in their house with one of my uncles and his son.He wants to sell the property. I would like to know if I have any legal rights? Also, my mom, their daughter, is still alive but we don’t speak to each other.

Asked on March 15, 2017 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

When someone dies without a Will, they are said to have died "intestate". This means that the intestacy laws of the state in which they were domiciled as of the date of their death will control. Typically, this means that an estate is divided among the deceased survung spouse, if any, and their children. In your case, since your grandmother died after your grandfather, then her estate will be split among her children, your mother and your uncle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption