yes Iam asking if it is possible if your spouce who is been sperated from you off and on for years.could get any part of a home that had to be transfe

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

yes Iam asking if it is possible if your spouce who is been sperated from you off and on for years.could get any part of a home that had to be transfe

Well anyway this spouce never had their name on my deed from the frist time I purchase this property.and Now i had to transfere this property over to someone else so that the home did not go for forecloser.Now he has filed for divorce and he is saying that he is entiled to a thrid of the home that does not even be long to me.I had tensfered this property over for at least 5 to 10 years now.Is that the truth?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Family Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to a divorce lawyer in your area, because it sounds like there is quite a bit more to this story, and I have a very strong feeling that at least some of that is important.  You have too much at stake, possibly, to take chances here.  Places to find an attorney include the bar association's attorney referral service, listed in your phone book, and our website,

If you sold the house 5 years ago, and the divorce was filed this year, I'd say he's very much out of luck, unless the sale was some sort of sweetheart deal and you're still living there.  If that's the case, you definitely need a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption