What are my rights if I was wrongly billed by my cable company andit won’t fix the error?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was wrongly billed by my cable company andit won’t fix the error?

Asked on September 7, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you need to, you could sue them--they have no legal right to bill you improperly, or to keep money that is not theirs. Of course, that may not be economically worthwhile, given the cost of  litigation, so you'll need to decide whether you go that route; on the other hand, if you represent yourself and sue in small claims court, litigation becomes much more affordable, and might only cost a few tens of dollars.

I don't believe that the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) gets involves in matters like this, though they regulate cable in other regards; you could try contacting them and seeing if they offer any advice for a billing dispute.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption