What to do if I was wrongly accused of falsifying my timecard?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was wrongly accused of falsifying my timecard?

My employer is accusing me of falsifying my timecard. She accused me after having another co-worker tell her what time I come in and what time I leave. All the clocks in the building are different so of course the time varies slightly. Can I be suspended or even terminated for this?

Asked on August 2, 2011 South Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There may be nothing that you can do about this. Unless of course you can explain your case to your employer's satisfaction. Check to see what your company policy says about such a situation. The fact is that as an "at will" employee you can be fired or suspended , as your employer deems fit. In such workplace relationships, an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms of employment and discharge. Accordingly, absent actionable discriminating or a union agreement or an employment contract to the contrary your employer can take whatever action is sees fit..

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption