What to do about wrongful termination due to retaliation?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about wrongful termination due to retaliation?

I questioned a decision that HR made about a newly hired employee that was not performing. She resigned after a 90 day review. She decided to leave after that meeting. That was on a Monday, and on Wednesday they fired me. My direct supervisor was not involved and had no say in this. I feel this was in retaliation due to my questioning the HR director. I have been with this company for 10 years, been promoted, won awards, had excellent reviews, and large increases in pay and bonuses. They told me I had several complaints company-wide and this was going on too long.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Retaliation in the employment setting is illegal.  It involves any negaative action taken against an employee who complained of discrimination, harassment, or a violation of workplace law. It also involves taking action against any employee who participates in an investigation of one of these problems.  However, an employer is allowed to take adverse action against employees for other reasons. For example, negative job performance.

Since you didn't give much by way of details so it's hard to say whether or not your discharge give grounds to a suit for wrongful termination.  However, if there is no legally actionable retaliation, I'm afraid that you have no legal recourse here unless the terms of your employment specifically provide otherwise (as in en employment contract, collective bargaining agreement, existing company policy or the like).

At this point, you may want to consult with an employment law attorney or contact your state's department of labor. They can best advices as to your specific right/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption