What can I do about a wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a wrongful termination?

I recently was a contractor and I worked for my employer through a contractor. My assignment was ended with no reason stated. In a Skype meeting, which are recorded, a manager stated the requisition was opened so the company could be bring me on board. I then applied to the position. About a month later my assignment was ended and no reason was stated; they just said they wanted to end the assignment. Given the fact that it was stated in a meeting that they were going to be me on board and then ended my assignment for

whatever reason, my contractor reached out but the employer did not respond. Do I have any recourse for them ending my assignment with my contractor?

Asked on December 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that affords you protection under the circumstances, you have no claim here. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption