If I’m writing a book can use my ex’s real nameordo I need permission from his family to tell his story even though he is deceased?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m writing a book can use my ex’s real nameordo I need permission from his family to tell his story even though he is deceased?

I married someone who had been in prison 13 years and led a campaign for his release. The governor granted his release as he was wrongfully convicted. We later divorced and still later he was murdered. I want to write a book geared toward why women do and should not get involved with inmates but it would tell his story. I need to know if I have to have permission of any kind from any family members and if I am allowed to use his real name. Using his real name would allow me to make use of a lot of media promotion of the book because there was extensive media coverage.

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No you do not need any permission from his family if what is in the book is public information. Your ex's name is public information. There is nothing to hide. I assume your story is based on your personal knowledge so you have control of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption