write up for one employee but not for another

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

write up for one employee but not for another

my employer wrote me up for a policy that was broken but did not write up another employee who did the exact same thing wrong and could be proved by looking at the same time records that he looked at of mine, is this legal

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Employers may not discriminate based on a protected category, such as age, race, ethnicity, or gender, so if there is evidence that you were written up but no the other employee for a discriminatory reason, that would be improper.

If there is a contract, such as collective bargaining contract, or other rules, such as civil service rules, that set forth how employees may be disciplined, etc., those would have to be followed.

In the absence of the above, there  is, unfortunately, no requirement that employers treat employees the same.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption