What are my rights regading a write-up for attendance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regading a write-up for attendance?

I don’t know if this is the right move asking this but I thought it couldn’t hurt. My employer doesn’t accept doctor’s notes. You can only call in 5 times a year; I’ve only called in 4 times with a doctor’s note and got a verbal warning. We get 30 sick hours a year and I still have plenty left. However, it apparently doesn’t matter. Is there anything I can do to fight this? I can’t help that I got strepthroat and can’t go to work. I don’t feel like it’s right to reprimand someone for being sick.

Asked on October 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, an employer may "write-up," reprimand, or criticize an employee any time they want. The reprimand and/or your personal file are not public documents, do not have any legal effect in and of themselves, and do not cause you any harm; they just represent the employer's opinions and notes about you, and they are entitled to their opinion or notes. Should they actually discriminate against you--e.g. suspend or fire, etc. you--for a medical condition or disability, that may be illegal as a violation of the anti-disability discrimination law(s)--but you can't stop them from simply expressing their displeasure, since that is not action with any consequences to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption