Would this be considered to be controlled or uncontrolled standby time, and am I entitled to compensation? If so, how many years back am I owed?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would this be considered to be controlled or uncontrolled standby time, and am I entitled to compensation? If so, how many years back am I owed?

I work in CA for a company out of state. Their contract with the customer states that in addition to having me there on-site 5 days a week, there must be someone on standby with a two hour response time 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As I am the only employee in the state, this means me (this standby includes my sick/vacation days as there is no one to defer the work to.) I am an hourly, non-exempt employee. Being on call all the time has impacted my ability to use my free time as my own; I can’t travel, drink, or do anything that would keep me from being on site in 2 hours.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Okay, this may be considered a multi state employment law issue and appears to be quite specialized.

Check out the following and then consult with the California Dept of Labor: http://www.dir.ca.gov/






Then try www.attorneypages.com to search for an attorney in California in employment law and then check his or her disciplinary record at www.calbar.ca.gov under attorney search.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption