Would like to know what I can do to clear my misdemeanor record?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would like to know what I can do to clear my misdemeanor record?

I have 2 misdemeanors that are minor and happened when was 19 and 21. I want to clear my record for employment/school admission purposes but it seems like my offenses weren’t serious enough (worthless check 15 years ago; fake ID/resisting(consolidated) under misc. motor vehicle violation. Can I ask for a pardon instead? Please point me in the right direction.

Asked on August 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way to try and clear up the criminal convictions on your record is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if a possible motion to expunge the convictions would be in order and determine the costs and chances of success.

The court in evaluating whether to grant or deny such a request to expunge a conviction looks at the type of conviction one has, how long ago it occurred, what the person has done with his or her life since and the reasons for the request. Not all requests are granted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption