Would like to change my statures from B2 visa to a working visa or other.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would like to change my statures from B2 visa to a working visa or other.

I am currently in USA with a B2 tourist Visa. I am staying at my brother’s house, who is a US citizen. My brother and sister in law have a 6 year old child, and my brother would like to sponsor me because he wants me to live here and take care of his child. What would be the best way to apply for a work visa? can I apply as a nanny working for him? or use form I140 maybe? what visa can I apply for? what is your suggestions?
Thank you
Jessica G.

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Immigration Law, Maryland


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately a nanny position would not qualify for any type of temporary work visa and any process for a green card for a nanny position will take many many years.  There is really no way for you to get temporary work authorization to work as a nanny lawfully.  If you remain in the US and work in B-2 status, that will be considered unauthorized unlawful employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption