Would like both maiden name married name on green card

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would like both maiden name married name on green card

Gd day. I have completed interview at
local embassy n I am due to arrive into
USA shortly. NVC put my name as married
name only. I would like my green card
to have both maiden name and married
name. Would immigration officer at
airport be able to change this when I
arrive. Thank you

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you needed to have that be reflected on your application and discussed it at the consulate when you had your interview.  If the visa was already issued to you in your maiden name, you will have to use that until you enter the US and then you can start the process of changing your name on all other official documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption