Would it be possible to leverage unpaid taxes against other co-owners in order to “buy” their shares?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would it be possible to leverage unpaid taxes against other co-owners in order to “buy” their shares?

My siblings and I have owned real estate for over 15 years after our parents died; I’ve lived here for all these years (my parents gave me lifetime residency). My siblings are trying to hustle me to buy their portions of the property (with a total estimated value of 200k). Recently, I found out that since I’ve been solely paying taxes these last 15 years, they technically owe me money in backed taxes because nothing in the deed says I must solely pay taxes.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Right, but the laws in your state may indicate otherwise in a life tenancy situation, which is what you have there.  A life tenant has the obligation to maintian the property during their lifetime and paying taxes is one of those obligations. They can not hustle you out of force you to sell as a life tenant.  Seek legal help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption