In a divorce situation, would it be possible to finalize judgement papers without the presence of one party?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In a divorce situation, would it be possible to finalize judgement papers without the presence of one party?

All that needs to be done is for my ex and I to meet at court to fill out the judgement. We were told this can be done without a judge because our case is completely uncontested. However, it has been difficult trying to get my ex to meet at court because he is apparently too busy. There is a child involved in our case.

Asked on July 28, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you and your soon to be ex are willing to agree to the terms of a marital dissolution and are willing to sign the stipulation (written) for it, then both of you can sign the document and attach the order for the judge to sign away from the court house and simply submit the documents to the court for filing and signature by the judge.

It is not necessary that both parties sign the document at the same time nor it required that the dissolution agreement be signed at the court house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption