Would I still have to pay the money back per contract?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I still have to pay the money back per contract?

I worked for a company that is a hospitalist group in MI. However, the hospital didn’t want to renew the contract. I had the choice of staying with the hospital or my company. I stayed with the company and transferred to SC. The company paid for my moving cost. Per the contract I signed if I quit or if they terminate me I would have to pay $4,000. Started the job I was treated badly. It was a hostile work environment. Others knew it was bad environment and I had to go to a therapist over this. Now I found out that people quit due to the hostile/bullying environment. If they had knowledge of this and nobody warned me. Would I have to pay the money back?

Asked on August 7, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The agreement you signed is a contact; it is enforceable as per its plain terms. Therefore, if you quit, you will have to repay the $4,000 relocation cost. That it is a hostile environment is irrelevant: there is no law against a workplace being hostile, and no right to a non-hostile workplace or to good/fair/professional, etc. treatment at work. Remember: employment in this nation is "employment at will"--your workplace can be downright awful, and the employer has no obligation to make it better.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption