Would I be responsible for the credit card debt of a parent upon their death?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I be responsible for the credit card debt of a parent upon their death?

My mother is terminally ill. My father has already passed. I have one brother with whom I will inherit a house with a small home equity loan, a small amount of acreage not associated with the house, a life insurance policy, and a retirement fund. The house deed is intended to transfer at time of death to my brother’s and my name. The acreage is also set up this way. Our names are already on the deeds. My mother has asked that we all sit down and decide exactly how to divide all the assets before her death. How would I protect from assuming her credit card debt?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation and it is with your Mother.  It sounds here as if you have done some estate planning already with the property involved.  Although this forum can be no substitution for sitting down with someone who can look at everything and give you advice.  What may work est is to create a trust to inherit the other assets - like the life insurance policy that will pass outside probate if there is proper designation in place - and the retirement fund.  It may save you in taxes and give you time to divide the assets after her death as the contingent beneficiaries of the property.  Her credit card debt is a debt of the estate and not any of you individually.  This can help to let you enjoy your mother while she remains with you and worry about the assets later.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption