Would I be able to sue my employer regarding health issues from black mold?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I be able to sue my employer regarding health issues from black mold?

I’ve been working here for a little over a year now and have been getting headaches, dizzy spells, trouble breathing and rashes. The maintenance guy here and a few other employees I know, have been getting the same thing. I’ve noticed that when one of the rooms has a leak they never fixed the problem properly, rather they just cover it up and call it good. The maintenance guy here has pictures of black mold from around this property as well and has sent those pictures to the managers but nothing has been done. I was wondering what steps I should do to get this problem fixed or ask the manager about it again?

Asked on January 27, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have a worker's compensation claim because of your health problems due to the mold. Workers' compensation is an alternative to suing your employer. Your employer's HR department should have the applicable forms for you to file your worker's compensation claim. It would be advisable to speak with a workers' compensation attorney.
You can also file a complaint against your employer with OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) regarding the mold, a hazardous working condition which endangers your health.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption