Would I be able to get out of the lease?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I be able to get out of the lease?

If my employment is the only reason the co-signer and i are approved and I loose my job while on the lease. Would I be able to get off the lease?

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A lease in a contact that you are obligated to pay regardless of your job situation or the reasons that the landlord approved of you to sign the contract in the very beginning.  I would have to see the lease to determine whether there is a cancellation clause that woudl get you out of it.  However, generally you are locked in and cannot get out of the lease.  You and the co-signor are liable on the lease.  I suggest hiring a lawyer if you are sued for non-payment to try to negoitate a settlement that is good enough to make the landlord want to avoid a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption