Would being unemployed for a year period after getting 2 year green card jeopardize my status?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would being unemployed for a year period after getting 2 year green card jeopardize my status?

Could you please give me some information about the
things risks those may jeopardize the legal alien’s green
card status after getting the 2 year green card through
marriage under the Missouri state law, please? For
instance, would the status be jeopardized, if a green card
holder through marriage is unemployed even a year after
getting their 2 year green card? Would that be a problem or
cause any kind of limitation for further procedure is there
any timely concerns that the legal alien has to be aware of?

Your immediate assistance, greatly appreciated. Thank you

Asked on July 15, 2016 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you received your green card through marriage, there is no requirement that you ever work since your status is not dependent on your employment or employment with a specific employer.  You are free to work or not work, as is your choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption