Would a legal name change modify or void a no contact order?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would a legal name change modify or void a no contact order?

If the state has ordered a no contact order against the defendant from making contact with the victim as part of sentencing for a domestic violence case and the victim gets a legal name

change, does that make the no contact order void if the victim does not wish to extend/modify the no contact order or alert the defendant of the legal name change?

Asked on May 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, a legal name change does not legally void the order: the victim is still the same person, regardless of his/her name. Practically, the name change may make it more difficult to enforce: e.g. say that the defendant violates the order and the victim calls the police and shows them the order--the police may say, "this order is for Jane Doe, but you're Sarah Roe; it's not your order." Of course, you could then show documentation that you were Jane Doe, but it would be better to go back to court and get the order modified or amended to reflect the new name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption