Would a co-habitation agreement override a family trust if my boyfriend dies?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would a co-habitation agreement override a family trust if my boyfriend dies?

My boyfriend and I have been living together 2 years. We created a cohabitation agreement instead of getting married because we are investing in real estate together. He is putting up most of the money but I am working hard on the properties and contributing money as well. We bought a house that will easily be worth 4x what we paid when it is repaired. The co-habitation agreement states that if he dies first all of the profit from the sale of the house will be mine. He has a family trust with his kids as beneficiaries. Would the house go into the trust and void our agreement?

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Wow, there are several issues in this.  First, let me congratulate you and your boyfriend for taking steps to put your agreement in writing and protect yourselves.  Then, I have to advise you to consult with a lawyer in your state.  No one can answer your question without seeing your boyfriend's family trust, your cohabitation agreement, the deeds to the properties, and any other planning documents you have (such as wills).  Without seeing these documents, I can only make general comments. 

It is unlikely that your boyfriend's family trust would impact your properties unless he took title to the properties in the name of the trust or his will "pours" all of his properties into the trust.  Your cohabitation agreement is probably not a will and would not control who inherits the properties if your boyfriend (or you, fot that matter) dies.  The deeds to the properties might control this depending on how you or your boyfriend took title when you bought them. 

Let me give you an example of what might happen, depending on how the documents are written.  If your boyfriend is the only person named on the deeds, the people named in his will would inherit the properties.  His will might say that "all the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate I give to my family trust."  In that case, properties that were in his name would "pour over" into his family trust.  Your cohabitation agreement could not stop title to the properties from passing to your boyfriend's trust.  You might have a right to sue the trust for the profits on the properties because of your cohabitation agreement, but that would be expensive and may not be very successful. 

My advice to people in your situation is to have what I call a "life plan" drawn up.  This consists of any legal document you and your boyfriend need to make sure that your agreements and wishes are followed if you break up, have disagreements, become disabled, or die.  There are choices in which documents to prepare and how to prepare them.  Just as an example, you could create a limited liability company for your properties.  While you can prepare a will or a power of attorney or even a trust on the internet, I do not recommend it for you.  Making sure that your wishes are followed requires someone to think about it, and computers do not think.

I hope this has been helpful.  I strongly encourage people in similar situations to pay the money for a lawyer to draw up documents.  This is usually much cheaper than having a big mess and big fight later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption