Is it to pursue a refund of a portion of an unreturned security deposit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it to pursue a refund of a portion of an unreturned security deposit?

Our total security deposit was $1,040. Property management withheld $625, saying there was

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) Interest rates have been so low that you should discount 4 years of interest: it is irrelevant.
2) If they can't prove the candle soot damage, they'd have to return the money; therefore, whether or not you can win on your claim will depend on whether you believe they could prove this.
3) They could seek additional amounts if they can prove there was other non-wear-and-tear damage: the fact that they did not seek or withhold the money originally does not legally bar them from seeking it later.
Assume that you have, if you are confident in the factual assertions you make in your question, a better than even, perhaps even a good, chance of winning (but never assume winning is guaranteed, since it never is: courts and judges do strange things sometimes). If you also feel confident that there is no other damage they could reasonably prove, for a $134.14 investment, a better-than-even or good chance of winning $625 is statistically worth pursuing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption