Working in the U.S. with an H-1B Visa

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Any immigrant who wants to work in the United States needs a visa to do so. A visa is simply a document that allows you to travel to the United States and seek entry into the country for a specific purpose. The work visa itself does not constitute authorization to enter into the country. An immigration officer at the point of entry will determine whether or not you may enter and for how long. The type of visa available to a person who wishes to enter the United States depends on the immigrant’s nationality, occupation, training and work experience.

The H-1B Visa: Visa for Employed College-Educated Professionals

The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant (temporary) visa for a specialized professional who has been offered employment in the United States by a qualified employer. It is the employer that applies for the visa, not the prospective employee. The U.S. government grants 85,000 H-1B visas each year, 20,000 of which are set aside specifically for workers with masters level degrees from a U.S. educational institution.

H-1B visas are valid for three years and visa holders can apply for a one-time extension of another three years allowing for a total stay of six years. H-1B visas are duel-intent visas. Visa applicants will not be denied because they intend to apply for permanent residency (a green card) while holding the H-1B visa. H-1B visa holders can bring their family with them to the United States on an H-4 visa. A person holding an H-4 visa can not be a paid employee.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Rules for Employees Applying for H-1B Visas

Employees must be qualified in a specialty field, including: Computer science, health care, university teaching, engineering, chemistry, art, law, accounting, banking, financial analysis, management consulting, architecture, or scientific research.

H-1B visa applicants must meet requirements and provide documents proving their expertise in a field.

General requirements include (one of the following):

  • A bachelor’s degree or higher degree or the foreign equivalent in the specialty field;
  • 12 years or more of work experience in specialty field;
  • A license to practice in the chosen occupation if such a license is required; or
  • A mix of further education and work experience to total at least 12 years.

Work experience requirements include:

  • Work experience must be in the same or a very similar field;
  • Work experience must be progressive in that the applicant must have taken on increasing responsibilities;
  • Work experience required practical and theoretical application of knowledge; and
  • Work experience was gained along side similarly educated employees.

Documentation to Be Provided by Employee

H-1B visa applicants will need to provide documentation proving either their work experience or education level. The following documents can be used:

  • High school diploma if no college degree has been obtained;
  • Associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D college degree;
  • College transcripts or academic records;
  • Certificate or diploma of IT training courses;
  • Evidence of license or professional membership;
  • Resume describing in detail employment history, including:
    • Name of employer
    • Redirect URL of employer
    • Job title
    • Employment start date
    • Employment end date
    • Type of business
    • Duties performed
    • Full or part time
  • Employment verification or references matching resume.

Legal Representation / Immigration Attorneys

Legal representation can be extremely helpful for both the employer and employee when attempting to obtain a H-1B visa. An immigration attorney can review and file visa applications. This can help ensure that these documents are filled out correctly and that the documentation you provide is adequate to meet the standards of the U.S. immigration. An immigration lawyer can also advise you on what visas you can apply for and can help with your application for permanent resident status after you have received your visa and been in the country for a certain period of time.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption