If I worked 1 shift but was not paid, what is my recourse?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I worked 1 shift but was not paid, what is my recourse?

On December 16, 2016 I responded to an ad on Craigslist looking for a dishwasher. They asked if I could come in, so I did at 4 P.M. Expecting an interview, I instead worked a shift that lasted until well after midnight. When I left I received no payment and

was told

Asked on December 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your former employer has violated the law; workers are entitled to be compensated for all time worked. For this, you can do 1 of 2 things: file a wage claim with the Department of Industrial Relations and/or sue for any amounts owed to you in small claims court (although the cost to file such a suit may be more than what you are owed). Additionally, if you were a non-exempt worker, you were entitled to meal and rest breaks as follows: a 30-minute meal break if you worked more than 5 hours in a workday, and 10 minutes breaks for every 4 hours that you worked. For this, you can also file a complaint with the DIR. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption