What fees must a tenant pay if they gave notice under an oral lease agreement?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What fees must a tenant pay if they gave notice under an oral lease agreement?

I’ve been going through with some problems from my so-called landlord. We have been living there for almost 2 years under an oral lease and now that we are about to leave she has written a letter demanding we pay for carpet and exterminator before we go, plus another months rent. Are we required to do so? We didn’t sign a lease to move in; it’s been just handshakes and promises. I’m just wondering if we are required to pay these finances before we move?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are having difficulties with your landlord under an oral lease agreement where presumably you are on a month-to-month agreement and you want to end your lease, I would send your landlord a thirty (30) day notice of termination dated and signed by you. Keep a copy of this notice for future need and reference.

Since you have no written agreement with your landlord, it makes it hard for the landlord to enforce the demand that you pay for carpet and exterminator. I would write a letter to the landlord in response stating your position keeping a copy of it for future need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption