What can I do if someone has used my name and number without my permission,as reference when applying for credit?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if someone has used my name and number without my permission,as reference when applying for credit?

I have received calls from her creditors, of course, seeking her whereabouts. I do not have contact with this person. She has also apparently allowed male friends of hers to use my info, too since I have had a call concerning one of them, too. I have now learned she will be going to court for “larceny by employee” and I suspect the creditor calls will increase. She has a history of non-payment in the best of times. I wish her to cease and desist. What can I do?

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) Report her to the police IMMEDIATELY--what she's doing is a crime. Report her friends, too. Reporting criminal activity helps create a "paper trail" that it is not in fact you.

2) Take the police reports and contact the creditors and credit-rating agencies. Explain that this was  NOT you and that they need to look to her for repayment.

3) You probably should change, or at least consider changing, your phone number and going with an unlisted one to make this more difficult for her.

4) You could sue her for either monetary damages (i.e. any costs or losses you've experienced) from her activity) and/or for an order or injunction that she cannot due this again; you might also consider getting a protective order against her of some kind. You should discuss these options with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption