What can I do if I misunderstood my eligibility for unemployment and filed for 4 weeks thatI shouldn’t have?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I misunderstood my eligibility for unemployment and filed for 4 weeks thatI shouldn’t have?

I believed I was entitled to file unemployment for 2 months while working, since they held my pay at the beginning.Reading the laws better, I believe I may have been overpaid by 4 checks. I am not a criminal and did not commit fraud intentionally, just with lack of information. I have never been in trouble with the law. Will I go to jail? How long does it take to detect my overpayment?

Asked on July 24, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you honestly believe that you have been overpaid for unemployment benefits, you should return the excess payment explaining that you believe that you were overpaid for your claim.

Keep a copy of the letter and check sent for future reference. By returning the money, it shows that you were not being dishonest and that you caught the apparent mistake before anyone with unemployment did. By doing this, you will sleep a lot better and not be worried about possible problems with the law.

If you do not return the amount that you believe you were overpaid for, there may be a time in the future that a refund will be required of you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption