Wills, estate…

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wills, estate…

My daughter passed away May 13, 2016.
My wife and I are designated in her
living Will as benifinaries however,
she never removed ex-spouse on her Ford
Motor company insurance and he
remarried. I need to know if any legal
rights are granted to me such ad her
home and property, I have the copy of
the divorce decree.

Asked on June 17, 2016 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In some states, an ex-spouse can still inherit life insurance proceeds if they remain as the listed beneficairy on the policy. However, many states have enacted statutes prohibiting this ackowledging that just because someone forgot to remove their ex-spouse as a designated benficiary should not give that ex-spouse the right to such proceeds; in these cases the proceeds are payable to the deceased's estate. Further, most divorce decress extinguish the rights of an ex-spouse regarding such designations. At this point, you can check the terms of your daughter' divorce decree and/or you can consult directly with a local divorce attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption