Will they Extradite me??

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will they Extradite me??

I am currently on probation in Colorado, but just lost my job and things aren’t looking better. I was wanting to go to California to start over, but need to know if they’ll extradite me back to CO. The probation is for a misdemeanor and a traffic thing from a while back. I just want to know before I make my decision….Thank you…

Asked on April 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You cannot make the decision on your own.  You just said you are on probation.  So, you would need to check in with your probation officer and a motion may need to be made to the chief judge in charge of probationers and probation compliance programs.  Otherwise, simply moving without authority to do so will certainly violate the terms of most probation programs and thus can cause a warrant to be issued for your arrest.

This site gives you a general overview of probation in Colorado. http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/lcsstaff/research/PRISONChpt10.htm which includes the following:

Once placed on probation, the court may, as a condition of probation, require that the defendant:

    • work faithfully at suitable employment or pursue a course of study or vocational training to equip the defendant for suitable employment;

    • undergo available medical or psychiatric treatment;

    • attend or reside in a facility established for the instruction, recreation, or residence of persons on probation;

    • support the defendant's dependents and meet other family responsibilities, including a payment plan for child support;

    • pay reasonable costs of court proceedings or costs of probation supervision;

    • pay any fines or fees imposed by the court;

    • repay all or part of any reward paid by a crime stopper organization;

    • refrain from possessing a firearm, destructive device, or any other dangerous weapon;

    • refrain from excessive use of alcohol or any unlawful use of a controlled substance;

    • report to a probation officer at reasonable times, as directed by the court;

    • remain within the jurisdiction of the court, unless granted permission to leave;

    • answer all reasonable inquiries by the probation officer and justify to the officer any change of address or employment;

    • be subject to home detention;

    • be restrained from contact with the victim or victim's family members for crimes involving domestic violence; and

    • satisfy any other conditions reasonably related to the defendant's rehabilitation.

In addition, offenders convicted of an offense involving unlawful sexual behavior or for which the factual basis involved an offense involving unlawful sexual behavior must, as a condition of probation, submit to and pay for a chemical blood test to determine the genetic markers.

Also check: https://exdoc.state.co.us/secure/combo2.0.0/ajax/ajax_nodes_contentPreview.php?id=619


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption