Will there be any legalities if I marry my fiance now rather than wait for my amended birth certificate?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will there be any legalities if I marry my fiance now rather than wait for my amended birth certificate?

I am a transgender woman who has my name legally changed also my gender marker changed on my drivers license, social security, passport and in the process for birth certificate. I was told that as long as social security has my gender marker down as female I am ok to marry but I keep hearing so much about the birth certificate needing to be changed as well. If I marry my fiance now before my birth certificate is amended will there be any problems in the future?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So legally you are still considered to be male as your birth certificate states.  I might think that you need to wait for re-issuance just to make sure that there are no problems down the road.  Illinois does ntore cognize same sex mariafges only civil unions and at this point in time legally it would be a civil union. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption