Will the city pay me to move?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the city pay me to move?

I am currently living on vacant property owned by an individual. The city
I live in has held city council meetings to discuss plans for building
condos here. I’m not sure if the city has baught the property yet. I am
being evicted because there supposed to start building soon. That is what
I’m told. I have had people tell me that the city will pay me to move. Is
that true? I live in fairfield California.

Asked on July 29, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The city may *choose* to pay you to move (especially if they feel that some small relocation payment will make things go faster and easier), but they have no legal obligation to do so. You write that you are living on vacant land owned by an individual: it is not your land, so you have no property interest in or any entitlement to compensation for it, and as a general matter, no legal payment is required when someone is evicted. Being evicted means you don't have a right to stay there any more; with no right to possession or occupancy, you have no right to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption